Sunday, January 20, 2008

Irish Soda Bread

I found this recipe for Irish white soda bread while browsing food blogs. It is an Irish soda bread with no sugar, eggs, seeds, raisins, or anything else. I made it with Harvest King flour and powdered buttermilk. The result is a nice moist loaf with a yellowish tinge from the flour. The flavor is nice, very plain, but more flavorful unlike a biscuit. Mrs. A and I had it for breakfast this morning with butter and blueberry jam. I toasted some for a peanut butter sandwich snack this afternoon. Even better. The original recipe is at http://www.valskitchen.com/ under Soda Far Soda Good.

Here is the recipe I used:

400g plain flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp bread soda

300ml buttermilk. I used 5 tablespoons of dry buttermilk and 300 ml of water.


Method

Mix the flour, salt and bread soda together in a large mixing bowl.

Add in the buttermilk and mix completely. Use your hand in a claw-like shape to bind the ingredients, you can use a dough hook. I did.

Take out of the bowl and put onto a floured work surface and knead into a circular loaf shape.

Cut a deep cross into the bread, this allows it to expand, and bake at 170 degrees C (350 degrees F) for one hour. I baked it at 350 in the convection oven with a cold start for 40 minutes.

Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Hi John
I'm really happy to see that you used a recipe from my blog and that it worked out for you. It's as close to an original recipe as you will find as in Ireland we don't add anything. To make brown soda bread just use wholemeal flour instead. It's really good with smoked salmon or cheddar cheese.
Val