Thursday, August 26, 2010

5 Grain Bread

This bread is an experiment using the Easy Bread method that can be found on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E68iNfRHBpI. (I can't stand the song.)  The method is similar to the New York Times No-Knead Bread that many of us are familiar with.  I used the easy bread recipe:

 3 cups of all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups water
2 tsp salt, and
1/4 tsp yeast.

To this I added 1/2 cup Red Mill 5 Grain Cereal and the remaining, about 200 grams, of the 50/50 poolish living in my refrigerator. 

Everything is combined until the flour is wet, then set aside to rise for a long time.  In this case it was until the dough tripled.  The dough was then stretched and folded twice and placed in a bowl to rise for a couple of hours.  I turned it out onto the peel with parchment and baked it for 10 minutes at 450 F, then for 10 minutes at 425 F, and finally for 10 minutes at 350 F.  I used steam, a cup of hot water in the cast iron frying pan in the bottom of the oven.

The loaf needed a little more salt, but tasted delicious and the crust was crackling crisp.  Really good.  All in all a good loaf that is easy to make and tastes good.  Next time I will put the 5 Grain Cereal on the top of the loaf.  Make it look nicer.

No comments: